Welcome to the Trauma and Acute Care Surgery (TACS) Unit at Liverpool Hospital. We are a highly experienced team of surgical, medical, nursing, allied health, scientific, and administrative staff that work collaboratively to provide world-class trauma and emergency surgical care. This is the only department of its kind in Australia, being a completely full-time Consultant-led and dedicated service for the care of the severely injured and critically ill emergency general surgical patient.
We are a Level 1 Trauma Centre and have all the components necessary for the optimal specialised care of the trauma patient including injury prevention, a well-established ambulance/retrieval system, all clinical specialties and disciplines for the acute management, a brain injury unit, a rehabilitation team, and a very comprehensive educational and training curriculum as well as research activities.
Liverpool Hospital is a principal referral and teaching Hospital of the University of NSW and the Western Sydney University and welcomes students from over 20 universities and colleges. Our TACS Unit offers overseas Surgeons further education and training in the specialised field of trauma and injury management.
South Western Sydney is now seen as Australia’s fastest growing region and is also the site of the second International Airport currently under construction. The hospital itself is currently undergoing a near $1billion rebuild and expansion, the first stage due for completion in 2026.
At the TACS Unit, quality patient care is our priority. We are a recognised leader in trauma and emergency surgical care.
Our Mission Statement
At the TACS Unit, quality patient care is our priority. We are a recognised leader in trauma and emergency surgical care. The TACS Unit is committed to providing the highest standard of Trauma and Emergency General Surgery care by:
- Leadership and excellence in delivering quality trauma and emergency surgery care
- Expanding the horizons of medical knowledge through multidisciplinary research
- Educating and training all health professionals involved in the management of the seriously injured or critically ill general surgical patient
- Improving the health status of the Community with world class Prevention Programs and Initiatives
- Supporting our District hospitals with the timely and safe transfer of severely injured patients and providing guidance and support.
We are greatly privileged to serve and care for an extraordinary community which is home to people from diverse cultures, religions and languages.
We are greatly privileged to serve and care for an extraordinary community which is home to people from diverse cultures, religions and languages. In the pursuit of our mission, our care is at all times guided by the following values:
- Patient Centred Care
- Integrity and Dedication
- Collaboration and Team work
- Openness and Trust
- Respect and Tolerance
- Compassion and Empathy
- Communication and Accountability